Marketing Ph.D. Required and Recommended Coursework
(Updated May 2021)
Students should consult with their academic advisor to choose courses that best meet their research interests.
- In Years 1 and 2, students are expected to take 10-15 credits courses each semester.
- In subsequent years, students are encouraged to take courses consistent with their research interests.
Students must complete the following courses (see details/options below):
- MKTG courses – a minimum of 18 credits,
- BADM 6201 – Introduction to Research and Teaching (1 credit),
- A minimum of 12 credits of research methods courses and 12 credits of supporting courses – List of Suggested Courses
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (GRAD 6950) – a minimum of 15 credits.
Marketing Requirements (a minimum of 18 credits)
Required Marketing Courses Courses below must be taken for a grade
- MKTG 6209 (Theories, Methods, and Practices of Research in Marketing)
- MKTG 6202 (Psychological Approaches to Consumer Behavior)
- MKTG 6212 (Special Topics in Consumer Behavior)
- MKTG 6203 (Quantitative Models in Marketing)
- MKTG 6210 (Strategic Applications in Marketing)
- MKTG 6296 (Special Topics: Research Implementation and Progress toward General Examination)
The Marketing Department has no formal prerequisites. However, the Department strongly recommends that, prior to enrollment, students complete:
- One year of calculus
- Introductory probability and statistics
- A managerial economics or microeconomics course
A qualifying paper is submitted by August 1 in Year 1.
A general examination paper is submitted by September 1 in Year 3.